Saturday, April 16, 2011

GP Dallas, Regionals, and Judging

Apparently I'm addicted to 6-3 performances. That's what I did at GP Dallas piloting UW CawBlade. I was pretty happy about the deck choice, however, I am very, very tired of mirror matches. As a result I'm either going to take something like Conley's UB Go Big deck or RUG to the Regio...ahem...Nationals Qualifier Tournaments. Standard has got rather stale for me so I'm not really going to talk much more about it right now. It's been hashed out pretty throughly at this point: Jace is controversial, CawBlade is the elephant in the room, Valakut is lame, etc., etc.

I'll probably be attending as many NQs as I can (read: how many my wife allows me to attend) until either I've gone to all of them or qualified. I'm looking forward to trying out this experience for real. I've never really tried "The Grind" before (mostly due to college *shakes fist*). I have a blast going to these tournaments and just getting to meet some really cool people. A lot of the people I've played at tournaments have been really great guys despite the fact that I've been running Public Enemy Number One. I've very rarely had anything but a blast playing and when I get to laugh and enjoy it with my opponent regardless of the result, it's even better.

I feel like, from my experience at the Grand Prix, that some of the pros have missed that. I had a similar or better record than some of them and looking around and seeing them with sort of dejected or downtrodden looks was sort of saddening to me. I mean, come on guy, you may not have done great at GP Dallas, but you get paid to travel the world playing an awesomely fun game. I know winning is what lets you keep doing that, but unless you are at serious risk of losing that (hint: you aren't right now) enjoy yourself. I know I would love to have a chance to do magic as my job, so don't take it for granted.

[Not that I expect any of them to read this, but hey, you gotta write what you're thinking. It is a blog after all]

Anyway, I recently judged my first event. It was just an FNM at the local shop, but it was surprisingly a lot of fun and a lot of work. It was great to help people understand the rules, although it was less fun to have to issue unfavorable rulings and resolve illegal plays and mistake when it was too late to back up. Still, on the whole people seemed to really like having a dedicated judge as opposed to our normal situation where the store manager is the only one and he is trying to both deal with all the customers and judge and record all the tournament happenings. It was a great way to help out, still get to hang out with friends, and not have to risk rating points* and whatnot. The manager said he'd love for me to keep doing it and I think I will. I'm actually going to be the head judge for the GP Trial for GP Providence at the shop since I don't have any Legacy cards and they really need help since the event is likely to be huge (for a local shop event anyway).

*I'm in an awkward situation where losing at the shop costs me like 20-30 rating points and winning gets me 1. Since that's a win rate no one in their right mind could ever hope to achieve I've been struggling to find a way to stay active in the local shop that I love without screwing my attempts to play at higher levels. So far, judging is looking like the perfect outlet.

That's all I've got for today, hopefully I'll be doing some practice with RUG and Conley's UB and I'll let everyone know what I'm running and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment